Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tragedy of a Life Much-Chronicled.

The twin oar blades swooped low over the dark water and slid noiselessly through the barrier between sea and sky and disappeared beneath. Endlessly - swoop, dive, swoop, dive, round and round - my eyes caught glimpses of blunt wooden birds of prey, so eventually I assumed they were there. How strange, I thought, that I should see only the hawk but not the mouse: continuously the attack, but never the kill.

My arms, somehow strong beneath their age spots, barely seemed to flex as I pull the boat across the endless sea. I know now that I rowed, not for the purpose of getting to any certain place, but for the prolongation of this planet's dear lady, Life; I am far from anywhere, and that's the way I wished it could continue to be. For as I drove the oar-eagles on through the night, I awoke far too soon from my drowsy slumber in a bed far from the ocean. I plunked myself with a start, like the clicking of a cog, at my desk and began to type. Up, down, up again, I am more mechanical than my Underwood.

I don't feel so strong anymore. And I miss the falcons by side, their hidden prey beneath. But I'll write about them instead.




Inspired by the life and obsession of the late Mr. Robert Shields. Begun September 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment