Monday, June 4, 2007

On the Genesis of said Blog, Or, Wherein the Author Reveals Her Motives, Or, The First Post.

There is only so long that I can put off writing this damn thing. So here it goes.

I've been sitting on the idea of creating a blog for several months now. I have a blog (of sorts) on MySpace (forgive me Internets for MySpacing), but I do not have freedom of pen there- the people I want to write about have access to it. That fact alone would not necessarily stop me if I were inspired enough, but, combined with the tendency for drama on MySpace (and we all know that drama only breeds more drama), I have taken the plunge into the BlagoSphere. This move was hampered by several reservations I have:

1) I need the freedom to write what I want. In order to accomplish this, I had two choices: A) Get rid of any reservations I have about offending friends and family; or B) Keep it a secret. Maybe someday in the future I will accomplish A, but in the meantime I have chosen to undertake B in spite of the next reservation:

2) I like to have an audience. I doubt that many people will read this, and even if they do, few will comment. I'll admit that this makes me sad: I like feedback; I like to impress people, especially with my writing. I will give this up for a while, though. I don't need it anyway- "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

3) Blogging is dominated by people who think everyone cares about every little thing they do, and I do not wish to "blog" in this way. So I will try to stay clear of this. Only things that are important or actually interesting will go here, not some stupid tangent on what I ate or who said what. I like the Interwebs too much to do that.



So, setting aside these reservations, I have set out to begin this blog. In it, I hope to provide introspective short stories and extended thoughts. I have always been fascinated by the little things that go on around me, and my school year in Helena has only served to heighten my interest in the mini-dramas constantly playing themselves out around me- the secret worlds. I hope to evoke cricket-serenaded summer nights in which anything can happen, snowy mornings that sheath the world in wonder, and blustery days that pass with little less than mystery.


Welcome to The Secret August Worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment